USEFUL FOOD TIPS FOR ADOLESCENT GIRLS
- Eat 3 meals a day with healthy snacks in between.
- Increase fibre in the diet and decrease the use of salt.
- Do not skip breakfast. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Girls who eat breakfast regularly tend to have a healthier weight than those who skip it.
- Eating an adequate amount of food at breakfast improves memory and concentration. It also provides energy for studying and playing.
- Drink plenty of water. Avoid flavoured water, colas and sports drinks as they can lead to weight gain.
- Eat iron rich foods to compensate for monthly period blood loss. Foods like meat, fish, green leafy vegetables, pulses, lentils, nuts and seeds are good sources of iron.
- While studying for exams etc. eat small frequent meals and drink plenty of water. Dehydration can cause tiredness. Multiple cups of coffee, tea, cola or energy drinks result in Excessive caffeine ingestion. This can lead to disrupted sleeping patterns. Nervousness and difficulty in focusing attention leading to poor performance.