Breast cancer is one of the commonest cancers in women
But you have more control over breast cancer than you think.
- Know the risk factors. Of course, there are non – modifiable risk factors like age and genetic predisposition. Usually, as age increases the risk of breast cancer increases. Having a close relative with breast cancer doubles the risk. Having gene defects like BRCA1 and BRCA2 increases the risk 5 times.
- Regular self-examination of breasts and regular check-ups
- Obesity or excessive weight can increase the risk. Maintain your weight with a proper diet and regular exercise. Reduce your intake of refined and packaged foods and fat.
- Quit smoking
- Cigarette smoke contains toxins and cancer-causing chemicals. There are more chances of a woman dying of breast cancer if she is a smoker.
- Limit Alcohol consumption
- Regular breast screening
In addition to breast self-examination and regular check-ups with your doctor screening mammography is recommended after age 50. This helps to detect cancer at an early stage. With early detection the chances of cure are high.